Business opportunities will come and go but when you learn how to make a blog and actually create one, you’ll be in a better position to increase your online income than the average internet marketer.
This is not my first post where I mention the importance of having your own blog. I’m also not the first person to say that blogs are highly profitable.
I read a very inspirational post on Nichepursuit not so long ago about an experiment conducted on what happens when you add 500 posts on a website. Honestly I was very awed and somehow it contributed to me creating this post.
Multiplesideincomes has been always been about creating multiple sources to earn passive income online. And somehow the direction of this blog has been towards reviewing different business opportunities that people can join and make money from.
Problem is, someone reading this blog might think joining various business opportunities is the only way to break through and succeed online. I realized that I’m forgetting to tell my audience that the most important aspect of finding success in any business is to be in control.
By control I mean creating your own empire and having full control over what happens.
Yes, you might be a top earner or recruiter for that matter in a certain online opportunity. But what happens when that program shuts? (It happens all the time). You are likely to fall on your nose and maybe suffer irreversible frustrations.
There are various ways you can position yourself profitably in this “make money online” space. But one that I find to be basic and almost simple that anyone willing enough can do is Blogging.
Apparently people across the globe are in dire need of information. If you are able to discover what people are searching for and provide that information to them, you’ll never sleep hungry. That’s how I was able to make almost $17,000 last year in 2015 with this blog having less than 20 posts.
If you can learn how to start a blog, a profitable one, and have a plan to develop it and remain consistent for at least a year, you’ll be in for a good treat. THAT’S A PROMISE.
Let’s be real though
I hope you are inspired by all this. But let’s be real. People like Glenn, Spencer or Pat Flynn are a few iconic star bloggers among many. They didn’t get there overnight and certainly did not achieve what they have by accident or luck.
Blogging, as profitable as it may be, it is nota“publish a few post and earn money the next day”game. Many have quit because of such deluded thinking. I for one have quit several times. And it’s all because I heard how people where making money and profiting from blogging and I jumped into it without proper guidance.
Like everything else you have to plan, work and give it time to spool up. Ask the legends and they’ll tell you that.
But don’t worry. In this post, I’m planning to lay it down dead simple for you. You don’t have to go through the hustles like I did.
I have been advising people to start blogging but I realized I have never given a proper guide on how to create a profitable blog.
I have been asked so many times by my referrals from different programs. Answering to individual emails can be exhausting sometimes. So I have decided to put up this post to help my readers, referrals and all people who follow me, how to go about the whole process.
But before I go on further into that, allow me to mention
5 Benefits Of Blogging
- You Establish Yourself as an Authority – When you provide good helpful information that is useful to people, you tend to get followers, people that actually listen listen to you and follow your path. This gives you the ability to print money on demand. Assuming you join a good business opportunity and recommend it your followers, you’ll almost get signups/ referrals instantly. Rob Fore and his wife are one good examples of the known authoritative figures who wrecks it hard with every business they join. And they do it through blogging
- You Can Easily Build A List For Free – Many internet marketers spend a lot of money building a list of subscribers. Something that can be a lot harder for newbies mostly because of limited funds. A blog is the easiest way to do that for free. It might take sometime to get your list into thousands especially if you just got started, but you can be sure your list will be very responsive (High Quality).
- You Can Easily Get Referrals Without Spending a Dime – I talked about this in one of my previous posts (you can read them here and here). I did mention earlier that blogging is all about sharing information that people are searching for. For instance, through the keyword research tool you discover that people are looking for more information about a certain opportunity that you are signed up with. You can easily write a review on your blog and when you recommend it, you can easily get sign ups. As we speak i have already sponsored over 500 people in my various business opportunities in one year. And my blog is not even popular yet.
- A Blog Is An Asset – We are talking about an ever appreciating asset. One good thing about assets is that you can trade them for money. I’m sure you have heard of bloggers who have sold blogs for very attractive figures. The more you develop a blog, the more valuable it becomes.
- Its a Passive Income Stream – Ultimately, we all want a stable inflow of income. We all want to make money online and live a JOB free life while spending more time with our families and loved ones. A blog can do that for you. There are many different monetization techniques. The most common ones are affiliate marketing (eg. Amazon affiliate and Clickbank) and Ads displaying (eg. Google Adsense). But all the four points mentioned above adds up to creating a passive income for you.
So,from the above points, we now know that blogging is a highly profitable venture.
Lets dive into how we can actually create one. I’m sure i have kept you waiting long enough!
Available Blogging Options
There are two main blogging options
- Free option (eg. wordpress, blogspot, tumblr, weebly etc.)
- Paid option (you pay for domain name and a hosting account)
Of course the main difference is that one is free and the other is not. But its also important to mention that there are things you can do with a paid option that you can’t do with a free one.
I will always recommend to pay for a domain name and hosting. Remember i did talk about having total control. That is what a paid option gives you.
A free blog strips control from you. Imagine if google decides to take down blogger/blogspot one day. If you have a free blog there then you are screwed. You also have very limited monetization options. For example you can’t add adsense to a free hosted wordpress blog. Ouch.
So its a good idea to think the paid way. Its not expensive at all. I’ll show you in a minute.
How to make a blog – 6 Steps
Step 1 – Picking a Niche and Blog Name
Is this important? Absolutely.
Its important to pick a niche because that will be your key area of concentration. You can’t blog about everything on one site. You’ll confuse readers. Its also not good for search engine optimization.
How to Pick a Niche For Your Blog Site
This is a very crucial step because you need to pick a niche that you at least know a thing or two about. Otherwise its going to be difficult producing content for your site and being an authority in that field.
To be on the safe side, you can pick a niche based on:
- Past and current experience – (eg. Loosing weight, if you have been through such experience)
- Passion or hobby – (eg. Soccer, video gaming, travelling, etc.)
- Knowledge – (eg. Photography, list building, video editing, etc.)
You can even go further and pick a sub-niche like say mastering first person shooters in the gaming niche.
Choosing a blog name/domain
There is a lot being said about choosing a domain name for a blog site. Most people will tell you to do a keyword research for your blog’s name before you register it.
But,Does it really matter what you decide to call your blog?
Yes and No!
Yes for relevance and easy discovery but for rankings not so much.
My Opinion – If you are not building a niche or adsense site, keyword research is almost irrelevant for a domain name. However you can pick one that is more relevant to the field you are going to build your authority blog on.
Step 2 – Domain and Hosting
After you have done all the research and you have picked a name. Its now time to register your domain name and hosting accounts.
Registering a Domain name
You could register a domain and hosting with the same company. Or you can also do it with different companies. Some will offer you a free domain when you register a hosting account with them. You can find out more about the top companies here.
For this post however i’m going to demonstrate using Godaddy and Hostgator, same companies i personally use.
How to Register a domain name using GoDaddy for $0.99 the first year.
Go to Google and search for godaddy. Click on the ad as shown on the image below.
When the site opens up, enter the domain name you have picked and click on search to see if it’s available for registration. If it’s not you pick another name or a slightly different one until you find one that is available.
Then skip everything else until you reach the final checkout page like below.
You will receive an email confirmation. Then we are done with Godaddy for this bit.
Registering a Hosting Account
Hosting is pretty straight forward. Just visit Hostgator. And choose a plan that suits you.
Hatchling Plan – You can only host one domain on this account.
Baby Plan – You can host unlimited number of domains (RECOMMENDED)
Business Plan – If you need some extra security and have a little more to spend, you can go for this option.
After you pick a hosting plan, below is what you need to do:
- Choose a domain – There are two options, Register a new domain and I already have a domain. Since you have already purchased a domain from godaddy, you are going to pick the second option which is I already own this domain (enter the domain name you purchased) as shown below.
- Choose a Hosting Plan – Here you’ll need to make sure you have your preferred plan. I recommend the baby plan. Next select your preferred billing circle. There are six available options (Monthly all the way to 2 years). Then enter your preferred username and finally your security pin.
Then you’ll go further below to enter your billing details as step 4.
You can also choose additional services that you might need like Security, Back up services and custom email services which will come at an extra cost. You can deselect all of them because you can always purchase them later if needed.
Finally for this step, you’ll proceed to checkout. After payment, you’ll receive an email with important details like login credentials and namesavers for your hosting account.
Step 3 – Setting Up Your Hosting Account
So we now have a domain and a hosting account. The next step is linking these two together.
There are two steps involved:
One – Setting Namesevers
To do that you’ll need your hosting account info sent by hostgator which includes your Namesevers and login details as seen below.
Next, you’ll need to log in to your Godaddy account. We are going to set namesevers for your domain
When you are logged in, click on domains. There will be a drop down list of all domains you own. Click on Domain settings for the url you need to change settings for as shown below.
You’ll be sent to another page where you’ll click on your domain again.
You’ll be sent to a settings page for that domain. Next you’ll click manage on the NAMESERVERS category.
A nameservers settings tab will open. There are two options. Standard and custom.
Choose custom and Click on add nameservers or edit nameservers.
You’ll enter name server 1 and 2 in the box from the email, then you’ll click OK and make sure you hit save after that.
We are now done with step one for linking you domain and hosting account.
Two – Adding Your Domain to the Hosting Account
If you are doing this for the first time and you included your newly purchased domain when signing up for a hosting account, then you don’t need to worry about this step. Hostgator will automatically add your domain.
But if you have a separate domain than that you used when signing up for hosting, then you’ll need to do the following.
- Log in to your hosting Control panel.(link included in the account info email.)
- Scroll down to the domains category and click on that.
- Create addon domainYou’ll ONLY need to enter the domain name in 1 above. 2 and 3 will populate themselves after you enter field 1. Then you can create a password after which you’ll click on Add Domain.
Then you are done with setting up your Hosting account.
Step 4 – Installing a blogging Software
There are multiple blogging softwares or platforms you can choose to install on your blog. The one i highly recommend is wordpress.
Why we prefer wordpress over all others.
- Its FREE
- Its easy to install (less than 5 clicks)
- Rich library of customization options (over 2000 themes and plugins)
- You can easily optimize your site for search engines.
How to install wordpress on your site
WordPress is very easy to install. On your hostgator control panel, scroll down to the Software and Services category and click on Quick Install.
On the Quick install page, click wordpress on the navigation bar.
Go to install wordpress for free option and click install wordpress.
Select a domain from the drop down menu that you want to install wordpress. leave the path field empty. Fill in your other details including your email, blog title and your names. Lastly click on Install WordPress.
Installation will take a few minutes or seconds.
WordPress will now be successfully installed. You will receive an email containing log in details to your site’s wordpress back office.
Now you can use your admin url and log in to your blog.
Step 5 – Setting Up Your Blog
After you log in, your back office is going to look like below.
At this point, your blog is pretty much naked. We need to optimize it for search engines and also customize it so that it can look more alive.
Here is what we are going to do.
- Update your profile
- Set a blog title and tagline
- Set permalinks
- Install a theme
How to Update your profile in wordpress
On the left hand bar, Hover your mouse cursor on [Users], another menu will appear. Click on [Your profile].
This will take you to a setup page. Here you’ll enter your names, contact info and about yourself. You can also change your password to something you can easily remember. Then you’ll scroll down and click on update profile.
Setting a Blog title and Tagline
On the left hand bar, hover your mouse on [Settings], then click on [General]. Fill in all the important details including your site title and tag line.
A site title is your blog name. A tagline is simply a short description about your blog.
This blogs title is Multiple Side Incomes.
And my tagline is Setting Multiple Streams To Earn Passive Income Online.
Then you’ll click on save at the bottom of the page.
Permalinks are how your site links will appear. A good clean permalink is advised for search engine optimization (SEO)
For permalinks you’ll go to [Settings], then click on [permalinks]
Then you’ll choose post name option as shown below.
Then you’ll click on save changes.
Installing a Theme In WordPress
A theme is basically a site’s template and graphics.
- You need to pick a theme that is mobile compatible.
- You need to pick a theme that loads faster.
Google considers these factors when ranking sites. On this blog, at the timing of this post i’m currently using the pro version Iconic One theme by Thermonic. There is also a free version, so you can check them out.
So to install a theme, you’ll go to [Appearance] on the left hand bar, then click on [themes]. On the next page you’ll click on [Add New]. Then you can pick one from a thousands of free themes.
Step 6 – Installing Important Plugins
We can’t do so much with a default WordPress. Plugins are small pieces of codes that facilitates certain functions that we need. Don’t worry there is no coding needed. Its simply installing and doing some minor setups.
To install plugins, you just go to [plugins] on the left hand bar and click on [Add New]. You can search for any plugins that you need.
Some important plugins you need to install.
- All In One SEO pack – This will help you optimize your site for search engines
- Google Analytics – This will help link your blog with google analytics which is important for analyzing blog’s data like traffic etc.
- Akismet – This will protect your blog from comment spams.
- Contact Form – This can be used to add a contact form on a contact us page on your blog.
- Twitter Facebook Social Share – This will add social media buttons on your blog for easy sharing of your posts.
Those are the basic plugins you need. You can add more depending with what functions you need for your blog. Every plugins comes with installation and setup instructions.
That is how to make a blog that function just as well as every other blog you see on the internet.
This guide was a bit long but I hope you now see how easy it is to create a blog. Basically from here you can proceed to add content to your site right away.
I couldn’t include everything like how to write your first post or creating pages, but that is something you’ll learn as you go. (It’s not complicated anyways). But hopefully i’ll be creating posts in the future to cover that and many more things i didn’t include in this guide.
It’s my expectation that you found this guide useful. If you did, please share this post with your friends and press like so that they can learn how to make a blog too. But most importantly leave me your feedback through the comments below.
Don’t forget to like my Facebook page and subscribe to my list for more content like this.